We are looking for a motivated and inspiring Modern Language Assistant (French) to join us. This is an enthusiastic department, who like to bring fun to language learning, whilst stretching each of our students and fostering a genuine academic interest in languages and linguistics.
Reporting to the Head of French, the Language Assistant will work directly with the Modern Languages Teachers to help develop pupils’ communication and understanding of French.
The key duties and responsibilities of the role are as follows:
- Help students prepare for oral exams by providing conversational practice with a native level speaker. Language Assistants are expected to have a knowledge of the course specification and oral assessment format and marking criteria, to be able to fully prepare students for their final exams. We currently teach CIE IGCSE, Pre-U and IB Language B.
- Plan and lead one-to-one oral lessons with pupils to reinforce basic language skills and improve linguistic ability.
- Encourage students of all abilities to be ambitious and outgoing, and assist in developing their communication, own beliefs and view of the world
- Given that oral lessons take place on a one-to-one basis, emotional intelligence and sensitivity are key attributes of our Language Assistants.
- Help students understand different cultures
- Contribute to cross-curricular work in collaboration with other subject areas
- Our Language Assistants also develop lessons and extra-curricular activities focused on their country’s culture.
- Work in accordance with the Department Guidelines for Language Assistants
To apply please submit your CV and a covering letter outlining your suitability for the role via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like further information prior to applying for this role, please contact Claire Montgomery-Rintoul, Head of French via C.Montgomery@fettes.com.
See more detail below: