An opportunity has arisen for a Modern Apprentice Chef to join our Catering Department. As an Apprentice Chef, you will work as part of the kitchen team at Fettes College, assisting in the preparation, cooking and serving of delicious food, to both students and staff.
You will work in a kitchen that always maintains the highest of standards on both health and safety and food hygiene.
Specifically, the Catering Department provides three meals per day throughout term time and during the Summer Language School ‘term’ and one meal per day for primarily non-teaching staff at other times, subject to the needs of the department to close for training, cleaning and holidays.
You will be mentored in the workplace by an experienced chef and will report to the Executive Chef and in their absence, the Sous Chef. The Modern Apprentice Chef will be required to work 5/7 days, and a blend of early and back shifts. They should react quickly, efficiently and courteously to customer needs, and to the request of duty management, whilst maintaining the cleanliness, hygiene and safety of the Catering Facilities.
Fettes College supports the learning and development of their staff through participation in an apprentice scheme delivered by and SQA approved training provider. Initially you will be enrolled with the provider to undertake a modern apprenticeship in Kitchen services or professional cookery to an SCQF level appropriate to your experience. This qualification would be the first step of a career path that could go on to include hospitality supervision and leadership, and then hospitality management qualifications.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure that all food is stored, handled and packed at the correct temperature and in accordance with food handling and hygiene regulations.
- To serve, when required, on food counters following all customer service standards.
- To ensure all work areas are kept clean at all times and waste is recorded and disposed of correctly.
- To comply with all Health and safety legislation.
- Provide excellent levels of customer care at all times
- To be responsible for monitoring and recording, day-to-day production schedule of each menu item.
- Comply with food hygiene and health and safety regulations and procedures
- Any other reasonable duties as required in the provision of Catering Services
To apply please submit your CV and a covering letter outlining your suitability for the role via email by Tuesday, 3rd August 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org. It is envisaged that this position will start 30th August 2021.
An offer of employment will be subject to two satisfactory references being obtained from your referees and a clean report being obtained on you from the Disclosure Scotland PVG Scheme in view of the contact you will have with children during your normal duties.
For more details please see below: