Fettes College seeks an inspirational, established musician to be its next Director of Music.
The Director of Music has oversight of all the Music in the College, and is responsible to the Head for maintaining or enhancing the quality and breadth of the Music we offer. We are looking to appoint an outstanding, experienced candidate with enthusiasm, creative energy and ambition who can strategically lead a large, busy department into the next phase of its development, in harmony with the wider aims and ethos of the College.
- Responsible for all Music in the College.
- Lead the strategic vision of the Department.
- Maintain or enhance the quality and quantity of Music offered in the College.
- Line manage the three other full-time members and one part-time member of the Department in the College.
- Support and collaborate with the Director of Music at Fettes College Preparatory School.
- With the Head of Instrumental Studies, appoint and manage the team of Instrumental Instructors.
The Music Department is well-resourced, and the Director of Music is responsible for preparing and managing its annual budget.
After 24 years at Fettes the current Director of Music, Mr David Goodenough, is retiring from full-time teaching in August 2022, and the College now seeks to appoint an outstanding musician who is able to inspire young people, to succeed him.
- The fundamental qualities we seek in our next Director of Music are these:
- An outstanding, experienced musician with a commitment to the values and ethos of the full boarding school model.
- An effective, empathetic manager, capable of reliable decision-making under pressure.
- An excellent classroom practitioner.
- Advanced keyboard skills, with excellent sight-reading ability.
- A willingness to collaborate and delegate.
- An ability effectively to build relationships with students, parents and colleagues.
- Reliability, flexibility, energy and enthusiasm.
The appointment will date from the start of the Autumn Term 2022.
- Salary will be by negotiation and will depend on the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate.
- Subject to the availability of places at the time of first entry, you will be eligible for staff discount on school fees.
- Accommodation may be available.
- Employment will be subject to one term’s notice on either side.
- All applicants must be either registered with the GTCS or eligible for GTCS registration. If you are unsure of your eligibility you should check the GTCS website: www.gtcs.org.uk before applying.
- Other details and conditions of service will be discussed at interview.
David Goodenough, outgoing Director of Music, would be happy to discuss this post with interested candidates before a formal application is made. He can be contacted by email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The application form, which can be found at www.fettes.com/about-us/vacancies, accompanied by a CV and the names and addresses of three referees, should be sent to the Head, Fettes College, Carrington Road, Edinburgh EH4 1QX (Tel: 0131 311 6701 or email email@example.com). The closing date for applications is 1 pm on Monday, 3rd January 2022 and longlist interviews will take place in the week commencing Monday, 10th January 2022.
For more details please see below: