On 17th June, all Third Form students travelled to Crieff to complete Third Form Field Week (TFFW). Based at Ardvreck School, 101 students and over 20 Fettes staff completed a series of Outdoor Pursuits and academic field work activities. The day time activities were:
- Munro Day (Ben Chonzie)
- Mountain Biking
- Biology River Sampling
- Rock Climbing
- Gorge Walking and Bushcraft Skills
- Water Sports (Canoe and Stand Up Paddleboarding)
- Bronze Duke of Edinburgh Assessment expedition
The weather could not have been better; with sufficient wind to keep the midges away, enough cloud to offer shade with periods of glorious sunshine to keep everyone smiling. The students operated within smaller expedition groups of seven, they always completed their activities with other groups so that by the end of the week they had interacted with everyone across the year group.
Highlights of the week included:
- Reaching the summit of Ben Chonzie - the 18km route was a challenge, especially towards the end of the week, but we can now claim that every student in the year group has “Bagged a Munro”.
- Kelty Burn gorge, near Aberfeldy, required teamwork, confidence and a splash of Fettesian resilience. The students jumped, slid and scrambled along the river system. Interestingly the largest gorge jump grew in size every day according to the students, rumours of a 15m plunge but Mr Rowlands can dispel this myth, maybe 15ft, but still excellent.
- Loch Monzievaird was the venue for the paddlesports, a beautiful setting to demonstrate some of the options students could choose for future Duke of Edinburgh expeditions – a clear favourite activity this year!
Evening activities included High Ropes Courses, Art Projects, swimming and instructions on how to build a fire.
Third Form Field Week is a wonderful opportunity to conclude Third Form and give the students an opportunity to take part in a wide variety of activities. Many OFs still speak highly of their TFFW experience, and this year is no different.
Thanks go to Mr Rowlands for all his motivation and encouragement throughout this incredible week and for all the work that goes into organising it so successfully.