Sport is an integral part of a healthy and active lifestyle, developing key life skills such as teamwork and communication. With many sports fixtures taking place throughout the academic year, the Spring Term brings new challenges and sporting successes for our Fettesians.
During the Spring Term the main sports are: Boys Hockey, Boys Football, Girls Lacrosse and Girls Netball. If you would like to keep up to date with our sporting achievements, please see below some Spring Term highlights from the Fettes Sport Department.
- 5-2 win | Away at Strathallan. An outstanding win for the team, with 3rd former Xavax C scoring in his debut game for the 1st XI
- 2-2 against Loretto. Having lost 2-6 to Loretto three weeks earlier, it was an excellent show of team Hockey
- Hamish M, Hugh H and Monty H (all Upper 6th) made their 1st XI debuts this season alongside Fraser M and Sam W (both 4th Form) and Xavax C (3rd Form)
- Special mention goes to: Oliver P’s double hatrick against Robert Gordons, Zak R’s double against Stewart’s Melville and excellent leadership from captain Fred S
- 6-1 win against Merchiston
- Congratulations to Ben A who scored a goal in his debut vs Merchiston
- Overall, it has been an excellent season for the 2nd XI and our students should be incredibly proud of their success
- 5-0 win against Loretto, special mention to Sandy C for incredible scoring
- Joshua C has been a highly communicative captain this term, greatly appreciated by the Sports Department and fellow students
- Alexander M has also played incredibly well as Vice-Captain
Colts A XI
- The team had an incredible term, scoring lots of goals against tough opposition and showed excellent determination after an early two defeats.
- Top Goal scorer: Fraser W
- Player of the Season: Marcus P
Colts B XI
- Alexander R and Todd M have captained the team well, showing a positive attitude throughout.
- 4-0 Win against Strathallan
- Hard fought couple of draws against Loretto and ESMS.
Junior Colts A XI
- Junior Colts hockey season has been one of the most successful in recent years. They have been undefeated, with only one draw taking place (they were missing four members of the squad).
- Going into the final game, they have a goal difference of 50, indicating just how dominant they have been on the circuit.
- Special mention to Harry A, who has usually captained the side and Ramsay M, who has been a key creator of goals
- Many of the team played in the successful junior cup-winning side and the success of the season bodes well for the future of Fettes hockey
Junior Colts B XI
- Massive congratulations for a completely victorious season
- A particular highlight being their 6-0 win vs Loretto
1st XI Girls
- The 1st XI Girls won the quarter final of the Scottish Hockey Bowl competition against Trinity (3-0) but were then unlucky to lose 0-1 to Heriots in the semi-final. Congratulations on your incredible playing!
- The U15 Girls won the quarter final of the U15 Scottish Hockey Bowl against Wellington College Ayr. Following this they beat Loretto (1-0) in the semi-final.
- U15 girls lost (0-3) in a closely contested Bowl Final at Glasgow Green and picked up the silver medal – well done!
District and National Representation
- Marissa M - Scotland U15 Development Squad
- Izzy U -Scotland U16 Squad
- Archie S and Xavax C - Scotland U16 Squad
- Matthew H - Scotland U18 Squad
Scottish Schools Hockey Championships
- Congratulations to our U15 Boys for winning the Scottish Hockey Cup and to our U15 Girls for gaining second place in the Bowl!
- Read all about it right here!
- Unbeaten in school fixtures this season, with a particularly close 7-6 win against Glenalmond at the start of the term. They also had an excellent 11-6 win against Loretto towards the end
- They got through to Division 1 in the National Schools Lacrosse Championships – they only lost one match and were unfortunately knocked out because of goal difference.
- Special mention goes to Kai H and Louisa L as Captain and Vice-Captain who led by example on the pitch and motivated the team extremely well
- Other standout players: Samantha S and Lydia L (defence), Jessica A and Sophie H (midfield), Zara W (attack)
- Undefeated season with convincing wins over every team, even with low numbers and having to bring up 3rd X players. They worked well as a team and displayed stand out team performances on and off the pitch
- Colette K-L as Captain and Kat G as Vice-Captain have been outstanding leaders, helping to motivate and organise the team
- Special mentions: Honor C-B, Phoebe M-B, Jasmine L, Jen M
- They had an incredible 17-1 win against Loretto to kick off the season and followed this with a 11-2 win against Edinburgh 5ths
- Ianthe F and Emma H as Captain and Vice-Captain led the team well and provided them with excellent motivation in fixtures and training sessions
- Beginner Danielle W scored a goal in her first ever fixture – congratulations!
- Other standout players were Leila F (a versatile mid/defence), Emma T (defence), Isolde C, Amara M-M, and Caitlin G (attack)
- With a great tour to York at the start of the season and competitive games against Morton Hall and Queen Margaret’s School, the team came away with one win and one loss
- With only one loss to Glenalmond, the U15A X preformed exceptionally well at the Scottish Schools fixtures.
- The team were led by Nandita G and Imogen G who were great leaders, encouraging their teammates throughout the term and keeping team moral high
- Standout players: Caitlin S (defence), Kate S (attack), Pippa M (goalkeeper).
- Undefeated in all their fixtures except one close 6-7 loss early in the season – well done everyone!
- Standout players: Megan E and Fiona C (defence), Onari B and Iris L (midfield), Lily L (attack).
- Most improved player: Orla L – she works with enthusiasm and has exceptional ball skills in training and on the pitch. An excellent motivator!
- Dilara M: works with dedication and sets an example to others with her proactivity
- Cressida T: she has really impressed with her resilience and perseverance
- New to Lacrosse, the girls have had a steep learning curve and despite losing their first 3 matches to more experienced teams, they made huge improvements throughout the term. At the start of the season they lost 3-15 to Loretto but recently beat them 7-4!
- The team enjoyed a weekend tour to York playing tough matches against Queen Margaret’s and Moreton Hall
- Special mentions to Eliza M (attack) and Amelie G (defence).
- This team has a great future ahead of it – well done everyone!
- They have showed a significant improvement over the course of the season, especially in terms of field awareness and marking
- They gave every opponent a tough fight with two wins and two losses recorded for the season
- Stand-out game: 8-4 victory vs Glenalmond
- Special Mentions: Sofia R, Elise A and Tanya M.
- This beginner team has worked incredibly hard to improve their skills over the course of the season
- Notable Performances: Liza W (attach), Ana P (defence) and Clementine B (midfield).
- Most Improved Players: Isabella M and Nia K
- Kai H and Jessica A have been selected for the Junior Scotland A Team
- Honor C-B, Kira K and Olivia M have been selected for the Junior Scotland B team
- These girls were due to represent Scotland at the Home Internationals in April
- Cassia-Peia D-D and India M did a great job of leading the 1st team and getting involved in the wider netball programme. They were always willing and happy to go the extra mile
- Placed 6th in the Independent Schools Netball Tournament, hosted by RGS in Aberdeen
- They qualified in the Gold Section of the Scottish Schools Cup - a great achievement to make it through to the 3rd round!
- The camaraderie between all the girls in the team (with the team being made up of a mix of 5th, U6th and L6th players) was amazing to see.
- This season they have gone from strength to strength - they have worked hard on improving the basics, which in turn has greatly improved team success.
- The girls have worked hard on improving, whether it be as a group or individually. They feel confident to ask questions in order to improve their knowledge and skills.
- In many close matches the girls have always remained positive and have taken on all opposition with confidence.
- They have developed boxing and blocking skills and have become more assertive throughout the season
- Best Moment: 14-13 win over ESMS, which was driven by motivational captain Freya C
- Stand Out Players: Ellie K and Kitty W for superb reliable shooting and Maria W for bullet strength passing
- The 4th VII has had an enjoyable match filled season and have shown great team spirit
- The matches haven’t all gone our way, but there has been a clear improvement in their playing style and game tactics. Both the first and last game of the season were against Strathallan and the goal difference really showed clear progress. Well done team!
- Most Improved: Mary-Kate H, Jesslyn C and Madeleine M
- The team finished their league fixtures with a narrow loss against Holy Rood RC High School - the team showed great character, teamwork and skill throughout
- Special Mention: Jacob B, who was a strong addition to the team this term
- They finished the season with a strong win against Loretto
- Rosie D came 1st in the Strathallan Cross-Country fixture, 3rd in the Scottish Schools fixture, and represented the East of Scotland in the Inter-Counties fixture, where her team came in 1st place!
- Gleb S came in 1st place at the Glenalmond Cross-Country fixture and 2nd at the Strathallan fixture
- We had a great Jesters weekend with 58 Jesters on their 30th Edinburgh tour. We had 34 Fettesians participating in over 70 games
- Special mention to the Scottish Schools Tournament winners:
- Toby C - Senior Singles Plate Winner
- Wyman C, Toby C, Alexander C, Temi A - Senior Doubles Plate Winners and Runners up
- Wyman C, Toby C, Matthew W, Todd M - Colts Doubles Runner Up in Cup tournament / Semi-finalists in Plate tournament
- Junior Fives Cup Winner - Toby Ch
- Senior Fives Carruthers Bowl Winner - Temi A
- Girls Fives Cup Winner - Colette K-L
- The U19 and U16 squash players have played several friendly fixtures against Merchiston and Edinburgh Academy. A lot of new players joined the team, with a reinvigorated passion for squash being seen throughout Fettes
- It came down to the final game of the season but unfortunately, the 1st XI narrowly missed out on qualification for the knockout stages of the Scottish Independent Schools FA (SISFA) Cup
- The boys played some brilliant Football throughout the term, with Luc G and Guy M catching the eye of the selectors for the SISFA squad
- The recent storms hit the 2nd XI disproportionately hard this year and they were reduced to one fixture against Merchiston, which resuted in a 4–2 victory!
- The boys played extremely well, with captain Finlay D and midfielder Ari J leading the way.
- Tom B was selected for the U18 Scotland team and Henry H for the U16 Scotland team.
Looking for more?
Follow Fettes Sport on Twitter for a daily account of results, news, trips and sporting events. Simply click here.
To see more photographs from the games mentioned above, head over to our Flickr album here.
You can discover more about Sport at Fettes College by clicking here.