Support for Learning
Pupil Support at Fettes received the top grade in the recent HMI inspection – Excellent.
Pupils who experience any difficulty have a wide support network:
- Slots each week to go to staff for extra help
- Weekly one-to-one tutor meetings
- Support from housemasters and housemistresses, and a strong pastoral team
In addition, extra support is offered to pupils with mild specific learning difficulties, usually outside timetabled lessons.
Some pupils may take a reduced timetable, by special arrangement. Support sessions then fit into free periods.
Main areas of specialist teaching:
- reading speed and comprehension
- essay and coursework planning
- note-taking strategies
- revision, organisation, and memory techniques
- working with assistive technology, eg: TextHelp, Dragon Voice Recognition, Inspiration and Mind Genius mind-mapping software
All pupils have their own laptops, and most daily work can be done using a laptop, both in class and for prep. Pupils with specific needs are given extra help to make best use of their laptops.All pupils should arrive with a minimum typing speed of 25 words per minute.