A dynamic and enthusiastic department committed to promoting positive attitudes to language learning. Every student has the opportunity to enjoy learning at least one foreign language and achieve excellent results.
Our four main languages at GCSE, A Level and IB are:
Bucking the trend
Students take TWO modern foreign languages in Third Form and at least ONE to GCSE, bucking the national trend. Native German speakers can take A2 Higher Level German for the IB. We currently teach a range of additional languages at parental request.
Language Learning at Fettes
- We offer excellent teaching, and students go on to use languages at university and beyond.
- Each student has the opportunity to speak regularly with a native speaker.
- We have outstanding ICT facilities and a state-of-the-art Sony digital language laboratory.
- We combine communicative methods with grammar-based teaching. This develops students’ confidence and precision in their work and also improves communication in their mother tongue.
- Students participate in regular exchanges and visits, making friendships that can last a lifetime and gaining a fascinating insight into the cultures of others.
- Students organise events and present talks in the Modern Languages Society.